Sunday, July 20, 2008

Procrastination and other Stories


Today's a rainy Sunday and I have nothing to say that I can think of at the moment. . . .
I LOVE rain in the summer. I LOVE it when it pours.
Here's something: What's with this whole "by invitation only" thing for various blogs? Evidently, I'm not cool enough to be allowed to read some of my own friends' blogs anymore. Hmm. No more blog-stalking for me. I suppose I may have to send you an e-mail or disown you as my pal. Fear not, I love you, but all that aside, I am surprised yet again by how hard is it to connect with people in this age of communication-craziness. There is still nothing better than a hand written letter or a meeting face-to-face.

[Photo snapped by my computer at work]

If the truth must be told, I am procrastinating, something I have gotten very good at in my post-student days. My plan for today was to make some art so that I can feel like I have a potently meaningful life again. Not that I haven't been creative lately or that my life holds no meaning, but the percentage of time that I spend producing ART-related conversations or physical material does NOT reflect the percentage of art-relatedness that floats around in my head all day (and night) long. Intentionally sitting down (or standing up, spinning around?) and creating art is still quite the different experience from growing tomatoes, making granola bars, or writing and mailing a hand-written note, which are all equally valid forms of creativity. For whatever reason, I still put it off, even though I KNOW that I need it. Why do I that? Fear of failure? Fear that I might not exactly fail and that everything will change and be terrifyingly different? Hmm. Have any of you read "Walking on Water" by L'Engle? Comes highly recommended by me.
Why do you think it's so hard for us to live the way we're supposed to live?
So as I've said before, I need a good slap on the face. Anywhere else would do too.

[Some of my other creative pursuits: Here's one from the poppy patch in my backyard]


[Veggies are gold when it comes to summer living. I'm not actually a huge cucumber fan myself, but I had some extra room in the garden for them this year. I'm sure I can find someone else to enjoy them for me.]


No comments: